Thursday, December 3, 2015

Blue Stars Quilt and Inner Border Quilting Tutorial


This quilt was very fun to make! It has 25 blocks, and the blocks contain 25 squares each. The finished quilt top measures 62.5" x 62.5".


The pattern for this quilt is available in my shop here. Originally, I had planned to have the big squares of pattern fabric alternate between two different patterns. When my fabric arrived, I found the second pattern, which had birds and vines on it, much too large to cut up. That fabric then turned into this quilt.


I have made 4 different blue and white quilts now. For some reason I just love those colors together. I got some fabrics for a red and white quilt next, and I can't wait to start that! First I need to finish designing it.

Cross hatching is one of my favorite quilting methods, so that is what I decided to do on this quilt. On the inner edge of the border, I tried to create a sort of fake inner border out of a combination of decorative and straight stitching. I like how it turned out and will probably experiment with that method some more.



Choose a wide decorative stitch in a contrasting thread. Sew all the way around the quilt just on the edge of the border. If you want, you can add another stitch on the seam between the quilt top and the large border. I like the idea of doing this because it is a nice small detail that also strengthens that seam. I made my stitch over the seam just a thin zigzag.



Add a straight stitch next to the decorative stitch. I made mine about 1/2" away, then added another next to it because my outer border was quite large. This ends the "false" inner border and frames it to neatly separate it from the outer border. Add as many straight or decorative stitches as you like. Choose the distance between each stitch depending on the size of your larger outer border.

Now to make a quilt out of the leftover blue and white scraps... Since I made so many blue and white quilts, I should have enough for a twin size!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Shop

One of a Kind Quilts
Browse quilts in a variety of colors, sizes, and styles. Also view table runners, PDF quilting patterns, wall hangings, and fabric grab bags.

On the Blog

Tutorials, Patterns, and More
View tutorials on fun sewing projects, basic quiting skills, and many different quilt blocks. Downloan free PDF patterns and printables.

Pattern Store

PDF Quilt Patterns
There is a variety quilt pattern styles to choose from. Bed quilt patterns, table runner patterns, and more.

Popular Posts

Free Pattern: Linked Stars
Posted on October 22, 2016
Full Machine Quilt Binding Tutorial
Posted on Septemeber 2, 2016
Tips and Tricks for Cutting Quilt Squares
Posted on July 12, 2016
No Waste Flying Geese Quilt Block Method
Posted on December 15, 2015

Follow Fluffy Puppy Quilt Works